WANTED, A FRANCOPHONE POLICY ANALYST
POSITION: Francophone Policy Analyst
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DURATION: Term is for one (1) year but is renewable subject to performance and availability of funds
LOCATION: Resident in their home Country with some travel in Africa
START DATE: ASAP
The Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) has two constituencies representing Africa, namely, the Eastern and Southern African (ESA) and West and Central Africa (WCA) constituencies. The Africa Constituency Bureau (ACB) headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, ensures effective participation of Africa Constituencies in Eastern and Southern Africa and West and Central Africa in Global Fund Board processes. The Bureau supports more effective engagement, representation and participation of the African constituencies in Global Fund processes as well as enhancing their capacity to shape Global Fund policies and processes.
The Africa Constituency Bureau seeks a Francophone Policy Analyst to support the organization’s efforts in providing policy analysis support on how Africa can maximize the impact of Global Fund support to end the three epidemics – HIV, TB and Malaria. Working alongside the Policy Analyst, s/he is expected to contribute towards the development of policy and guidance within the ACB, as well as at global level through regular interaction with the relevant technical agencies and regional partners. The candidate is expected to help reinforce the engagement and participation of French speaking African countries as part of efforts to ensure the WCA region catches up towards achieving global goals against HIV, TB and Malaria.
This is a full-time position on consultancy basis with a lumpsum remuneration payable monthly. The successful candidate will be based in their Home Country and will be required to comply with their respective country’s tax obligations for consultants.
· Provide advice on strategic investments and governance decisions required to achieve maximum impact and optimal alignment of Africa Global Fund financed-programs with the 2017-2022 strategic objectives
· Conduct specific detailed analyses along the grant lifecycle and where required and in collaboration with Africa Constituencies, identify investment gaps and opportunities for reshaping of Global Fund support to Africa
· Use her/his technical expertise and insights into Global Fund-supported disease control programs to provide technical input into ACB policy and guidance documents, and to work with relevant global technical partners to evolve normative and strategic investment guidance aligned with implementation needs
· Provide disease-specific technical advice to the Board and the rest of Africa Constituencies, with particular focus on WCA region
· Contribute to the development of ACB reports, publications, press releases and other advocacy or information materials
· Provide support towards operations of platforms set up by the Bureau including, but not limited to organizing and coordinating Annual Consultative Meetings (ACMs), Cluster Based Learning Network (CBLNs), etc.
· Contribute towards translation of documents between English and French and vice versa and ensure that Francophone countries are provided with key policy support.
· Performs other duties consistent with the role and grade as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS PREREQUISITES
· An advanced university degree in health policy, public health, epidemiology, infectious diseases, economics, health economics or social sciences
· A minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in global health and familiarity with policies and programming for malaria, HIV and TB prevention, treatment, care and support, including program design and implementation, research, M&E and policy development;
· Demonstrated understanding of relevant policy initiatives
· Experience working on HIV, TB and Malaria programs in Africa and a good knowledge of the three epidemics in the WCA region
· A good understanding of the global health arena and direct exposure to health environments both at national and international levels
· Good knowledge of the governments of the sub-region and civil society
· Experience working with international technical and/or implementing agencies focused on HIV, TB and malaria control and elimination
· French as first professional language and a good command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset
· Strong technical and analytical skills, including communication and writing
· Strong planning and implementation skills, including careful attention to detail, initiative and coordination skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills and comfortable public speaker
· Sound judgment and commitment to ACB’s core values of transparency, accountability and efficiency
· Excellent computer skills
· Social Sciences degree with specialized post-graduate qualification in health policy and/or HIV program management.
· Knowledge of the Global Fund and its policies, processes and governance structure.
Interested applicants are to submit their CV with a one-page cover letter demonstrating suitability for the role in an e-mail to the Acting Executive Director at: email@example.com with a copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Application deadline: January 21, 2019.
The ACB is an equal opportunity employer. African nationals and women who meet the required qualifications and experience are encouraged to apply.